Readers’ Words

Share with us, and with your fellow readers, what you've enjoyed recently. Make sure to include the book title and the author’s name, and a comment about what you thought, why you liked it, or what other books you think would interest like-minded readers!

Posted Tuesday, 21 August 2016, 3:33 AM by Sona:

Just letting you know how much I enjoyed How Now Brown Frau. Apart from being the perfect length to fill a flight from Sydney to Singapore, I could really relate to the European expat experience. And I thought the episodes around Henry's birth were particularly brilliantly written. Mevrouw T has almost finished reading it too now, and there is a waiting list in the family. Our daughter and son-in-law were also expats in Germany (Dusseldorf) for 18 months. My next long haul flight is to New York in April 2017. Please ensure that you have another book published by then. Meanwhile, may HNFB enjoy the success it richly deserves. Richard

Posted Wednesday, 25 January 2016, 7:28 AM by Tim:

Here's a great combination - read Rob Young's Electric Eden with a computer running YouTube beside you. Young surveys English folk music throughout the 20th century, with a big focus on the 60s and 70s. As he mentions bands and track, you can call them up on YouTube and listen to them, discovering a heap of great music you missed at the time (or never had a chance to hear, if you are younger).

Posted Sunday, 10 July 2015, 5:08 PM by Storm:

Recently completed the non-fiction novels "Sky Burial" by Xinran and "The Mascot" by Mark Zurzem - neither are the types of books I usually read, but I would highly reccommend to anyone without hesitation.

Posted Sunday, 10 April 2015, 3:47 PM by Grace Miller:

I'm 15 years old but have a reading level way past my age. The past couple of weeks I read the 'Chaos Walking' trilogy. They were some of the most incredibly heart-wrenching, fast paced books I've ever read. Also I have loved 'Shiver' and 'Linger' by Maggie Stiefvater, even though they were along the same lines as 'Twilight Saga'. Last year I read 'The Messenger' which was a great read, especially from an Australian writer.

Posted Thursday, 10 March 2015, 5:37 PM by Richard G:

Another Jo Nesbo, The Leopard, even darker than The Snowman but a great read.

Posted Wednesday, 1 December 2014, 7:22 PM by Susie Reid:

As an ex-pat now living in New Zealand and working in the booktrade here I love to keep up with Australian themed fiction and non-fiction... 'Mice' by Gordon Reece (Allen and Unwin) is a terrific young adults psychological thriller that brings up great themes for discussion amongst young adults. A mother and daughter call themselves MICE because they scurry around the edges of life trying not to be noticed, they are bullied but how far will they be pushed before they react... Also great non-fiction - 'Unbroken' by Lauren Hillendbrand - the strength of the story is that is exceptionally written. US Olympian joins airforce and flies in the Pacific war, becomes POW...an amazing story of fortitude, resilience and strength of the human resolve to survive.

Posted Tuesday, 2 November 2014, 12:10 PM by Tim:

I bought Leanne Hall's first novel "This is Shyness" (a young adult book) at HBS recently. It's a great read. Well worth a look for readers of all ages. Imaginative, well realised, great characters

Posted Wednesday, 8 September 2014, 9:18 AM by Diane:

'Deer Hunting with Jesus' Joe Bageant's truth-telling look at why the American white working poor hate liberalism and the other two percent. It makes you sit up and take notice. It also makes you realize just how much Australia is like America. Am now about to start his other book 'Rainbow Pie'.

Posted Saturday, 4 September 2014, 3:33 PM by Jack:

Recently finished Michel Faber's Under the Skin. It opens on Isserley, a woman driving around the Scottish Highlands looking for lone male hitch-hikers to pick up. An incredibly dark and disturbing novel, but could not put it down. Isserley is a brilliant character. Highly recommended!

Posted Saturday, 4 September 2014, 3:17 PM by Rupert:

I've just started reading The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness - fantastic first installment of a fantasy trilogy for children/young adults. Gripping from page one - set in a future where everyone's thoughts can be heard. Can't wait to read the sequels!

Posted Thursday, 2 September 2014, 4:00 PM by Paige:

I've just begun Peter Temple's 'Broken Shore.' I read and loved 'Truth' - and feel that the Miles Franklin award was deserved. Temple sends shivers through my timbers with his punchy and poetic prose.

Posted Monday, 30 August 2014, 11:46 AM by Leigh:

Just reading Peter Temple's 'Truth'. I wouldn't normally read crime fiction, but it's a great Australian story and it's much more literary than many crime novels. A great read.

Posted Monday, 30 August 2014, 11:43 AM by Bess:

I've been really excited about the third book in Suzanne Collins' 'Hunger Games' trilogy. She writes so well -- even though it is a 'young adult' book, it's so gripping for adults too. I've just started the third one, 'Mockingjay', and can't wait to get home and read some more! A very 'realistic' fantasy/alternate-reality series.

Posted Monday, 30 August 2014, 11:41 AM by Anna-Michelle:

Just started 'After Dark' (by Haruki Murakami), and am really enjoying the imagery of the bustling Japanese city.

Posted Tuesday, 16 February 2014, 5:14 PM by Reader:

I recently read and loved Nick Hornby's novel: Juliet, Naked. Hornby at his deprecating-British-best. Lovely character relationships and a strange kind of contented melancholy.

Leave a comment!